Friday 10 July 2015

Seven months on

Oops. I'd forgotten about this blog.  I will think of what to write about based on what I've read/seen lately, but in the meantime, something more about Paddington.
Two of us were talking to two more friends, and we mentioned the evil woman in Paddington. Jane had a fit. There's no evil woman in Paddington! There is in the film. She then gave us a lecture about how women are portrayed in films and books. Always either a victim or an evil so-an-so! The rest of us threw literary heroines at her for the next half hour, but she managed to convince us that they were not in the mould of masculine heroes. As I had just read Bleak House I suggested 'the heroine' but couldn't remember her name. (Esther Somerville). Of course that played right into her hands - an unmemorable heroine!
So ever since then I have been racking my brains to think of someone. I was thinking Bathseba, from Far From the Madding Crowd, but she's a bit of a noddlehead really. I was wondering about eponymous French Lieutenant's Woman, but can't remember the story very well.
So who? All contributions gratefully received. (You needn't suggest Jane Eyre, Jo (Little Women) or even Hermione Granger, who was a Muggle). And I'm not really sure that the Harry Potter series is good literature.
That brings me on to another theory of mine. There are lots of good writers about. Some write in a beautiful style (example to follow) some write cracking good stories (example to follow) but it is only when style and plot are combined that a classic is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment